|Project Title||Collaborative Learning Initiative Managing and Adapting to the Enviroment|
The main project objectives is "Promote and improve climate change awarness in the European peripheral rural communities through a knowledge based approach and climate impact and incorporating transnational collaboration through a best management in future years." The project will also develop a preparedness scale matrix for local authorities and partners will be able to disseminate best practice models.
1. Research Models of Best Practice and Develop PreparednessScale & Risk Register: Develop models for policy makers which can be adapted to beused to educate local people, community groups andstatutory/voluntary organisations on local, regional, nationaland international issues
2. Produce Climate Adaptation Plan: The Climate Adaptation Plan will be targeted at publicauthorities & environmental agencies in each partner region byillustrating methods for climate change adaptationinterventions to government authorities and local communitiesin the NPA region.
3.Conduct a comprehensive evaluation and review of the projectwhich will aid local authorities in their preparedness inaddressing climate change: This will provide an enhanced capacity and preparedness ofenvironmental agencies to handle the risks connected toclimate change and contribute towards the overall programmeobjective of increasing the preparedness of competentauthorities.
|Man-made/natural risk reduction:|| |
The CLIMATE project has developed an International Best Practice Climate Adaptation Model to increase the municipalities´ preparedness for extreme weather changes related to climate change. Based on this Model, Derry City & Strabane District Council (Northern Ireland) and Härnösand Municipality (Sweden) prepared their Climate Adaptation plans and other Northern Irish councils committed preparing their adaptation plans by 2021.
|Influencing policies:|| |
Derry City & Strabane District Council´s (NI) Climate Change Adaptation Plan 2020-2025 resulted in a commitment by local and central government agencies to embed climate action in the “Inclusive Strategic Growth Plan for Derry and Strabane” (City Deal) infrastructure projects. In Sundsvall (SE), the Extreme Rainfall Plan meant that allocation of funding for climate adaptation had to be made within the departments in the municipial, and may in the next step lead to new allocation of funding. Similarly, the Heatwave guidelines resulted in new allocation of funding to ensure preparedness to climate change impacts. In Härnösand municipality (SE), the adaptation plan, cloudburst (p.65-66) and river study (p.67)influenced land use and infrastructure planning.
- Derry City & Strabane District County
phone 0044 28 71 253253
- City og Sundsvall
- Härnösand Manicipality
- Mid-Sweden University
- Northern Ireland Environment Link
- Rural Area Partnership in Derry Ltd
- University College of Cork, National University of Ireland
- University of Faroe Islands
| Theme |
| Priority |
4 Natural and Cultural Heritage
| Objective |
4 Increased capacity for sustainable environmental management
| Project duration |
31-05-17 to 30-05-20
| Total budget |
1 366 060 EUR
| NPA co-financing |
887 939 EUR
| Target groups |
regional public authority
local public authority
national public authority
interest groups including NGOs
higher education and research
| Joint Secretariat Desk Officer |